Monday, June 7, 2010

Nothing beats BEETS!

Okay, same-day posts will be atypical for this blog.  I just want to warn you in advance.  BUT, the day after shopping day, I tend to start saladizing the perishables, if you will.  Fifty dollars of every grocery bill goes toward produce, and I hate hate hate throwing away food.  So I go for them, first.

Today, I decided to make a beet salad.  Usually, I would make a beet gorgonzola salad, but I'm on a diet, and cheese is the devil.  So I used a pecorino/romano mix and shredded it lightly.   Anyhoo, here goes.

PS:  this is my method, but I'm sure there are others.

I remove stems and butts (as I like to call them), and boil the beets for about 30-40 minutes.  With the skin on.


You'll know they're done when you can stick a knife easily, all the way through.  (ignore my dirty stove.....cleaning it now....)



Then, I remove them with a slotted spoon and let them cool.  Once cooled (but not cold), I grab some paper towels, and begin to peel off the skin by applying some pressure, and sliding it off with the towel.  My hands never touch the beet, because that stuff stains.  (sorry for the blurry picture.  hard to photograph and peel simultaneously.)


Now, you dice the beets and put into a bowl.  I toss them with my own version of vinaigrette, which consists of apple cider vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper and a garlic herb seasoning.  I use this vinaigrette for EVERYthing.  Seriously.

And I don't use measurements.  I just eyeball it.   When you're dressing a salad, it's often different amounts of food, so how can you measure for that?



After I dressed the beets, I shaved a little of the pecorino on top and voila.  Beet salad.


A special thank you to my sous chef, Sabrina.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for commenting! Comments are monitored.