Monday, June 7, 2010

Welcome to my blog!!

Good morning!! 

I have decided to begin a new blog, for two reasons:  first of all, I am striving to lose 30 lbs in 9 weeks.  A lofty goal, perhaps, but my brother is getting married, and I just had my second baby seven months ago.  I gained 50 lbs with my first pregnancy in 06, and 30 with my second pregnancy in 09.    Therefore, I am very conscious, right now, of what I'm eating.  This daily journal will definitely keep me honest.

Although, I'm sure I will have the occasional slip.  Which I will document, as well.  This blog is all about honesty.  Like I say:  real food for real life.  Ideally, I would always watch what I eat.  But sometimes, you grab what's easy. 

The second reason for this blog is this:  people often ask me what I cook.  They can't believe I cook three meals a day, and rarely repeat the same meal.   I, myself, used to get stuck in meal ruts, but for some reason became more adventures the last few years, and I would like to share these culinary experiences.

So here we go.

This morning, I was in the mood for something heavyish.  My stomach was growling the minute I woke up, so I went for the eggs.    I would love a big egg breakfast with home fries, but alas, I prefer to skip the carbs, if possible.  So I made the next best thing:  sauteed veggies.

I chopped these veggies (onion, zucchini, radish, and turnip) and sauteed them in a teaspoon of olive oil.  (I treat turnips just like potatoes:  I remove the skin with a peeler, then cut off the ends and chop!)  I don't use PAM, because it just seems yucky like I'm spraying chemicals.  I like to be as close to natural as possible....


I seasoned them with seasoned salt (like Lawry's) and pepper.


This would be enough for two, and I could probably eat it alone as a breakfast, but to keep my stomach feeling full, I decided I need some protein along with the veggies.  So I also made a mushroom scallion omelette using one egg and 1/4 cup of egg whites. 


Don't know how to make an omelette?  Here's a little tip:  after the edges start to look done, lift one edge just enough to let the top liquid pour underneath.  You may have to tilt the pan a little to do this.  Keep repeating this in different spots until the omelette looks done.  Keep your heat on the medium side.  Not too high.  




Then add your fillings on one side, and flip the other side on top.  If I don't have shredded cheese, I use a veggie peeler on the cheese block.  Fancy!!    Now when trying to get the omelette out of the pan, don't use your spatula.  Just slide the omelette onto the plate.   


 Now, it's a little anemic looking, probably because I could use a better camera.  But it didn't taste anemic, and that's the most important part.

I'm hungry again, just looking at it.  I didn't have any toast or anything with it, because I'm watching my carbs.  But I didn't even miss it, to be honest....

Later today, I'm making beets!  Stay tuned!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! Thanks for commenting! Comments are monitored.